Fri, 23 September 2011
In Gweek 018, Boing Boing’s managing editor Rob Beschizza and Kotaku’s editorial director Joel Johnson join me in a discussion about comic books, video games, books, LEGO, and more.
• Rob and Joel talk about the agony and ecstasy of playing the Diablo III beta.
• They go onto to praise Torchlight, a fine Diablo clone that doesn’t require you to be online while playing it.
• Rob and Joel argue over the pronunciation of “Planescape.”
• Rob updates us on Minecraft’s 1.8 Adventure release.
• Joel describes Blockade Runner, "Not Just Minecraft in Space.”
• Rob and Mark engage in a deeply thoughtful critique of Steven Soderbergh's Contagion.
• Joel reviews Feynman a comic book biography by Jim Ottaviani and Leland Myrick.
• Mark reviews Optic Nerve #12, by Adrian Tomine
• Mark gushes about Richard Dawkins' new book, The Magic of Reality without having read it.
• Joel gets an MBA in LEGO at the Lego Master Builder academy.
• Rob explains the new Boing Boing redesign!
• We close with a fantastic 1981 song called "Pushing Buttons," from a power pop band called TV Neats & The Experts. The song was written by Bedazzled’s Spike Priggen. You can buy TV Neats & The Experts' album on Amazon and on iTunes.